FIFA Bans Argentina Players Over 2026 World Cup Final Clash
ZURICH, SWITZERLAND — WEB DESK: FIFA has imposed lengthy suspensions and fines on three Argentina players and a team official over the confrontation that followed their defeat by Spain in the 2026 FIFA World Cup final, with midfielder Leandro Paredes receiving the heaviest punishment.
FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee handed Paredes a 10-match suspension and a $90,000 fine, while Argentina defender Nahuel Molina was banned for seven matches and fined $90,000.
Thiago Almada received a one-match suspension and $30,000 fine, while Argentina team official Roberto Ayala was banned for three matches and fined $30,000.
Spain midfielder Pablo Martín Páez Gavira, better known as Gavi, was also sanctioned, receiving a one-match suspension and $30,000 fine.
The penalties stem from incidents following the World Cup final between Spain and Argentina at New York New Jersey Stadium on July 19.
Spain won the final 1-0 after extra time, denying Argentina back-to-back World Cup titles.
Paredes Receives Heaviest Punishment
Paredes received the most severe individual sanction arising from the confrontation.
FIFA had opened disciplinary proceedings against him on three potential assault counts following an investigation into the incidents.
Molina faced proceedings over two potential assault violations — one completed and another attempted — as well as a possible unsporting-conduct violation.
Almada and Spain’s Gavi were investigated for potential unsporting behaviour.
Following the disciplinary process, FIFA announced the final sanctions on Friday.
| Player/Official | Team | Suspension | Fine |
|---|---|---|---|
| Leandro Paredes | Argentina | 10 matches | $90,000 |
| Nahuel Molina | Argentina | 7 matches | $90,000 |
| Roberto Ayala | Argentina | 3 matches | $30,000 |
| Thiago Almada | Argentina | 1 match | $30,000 |
| Gavi | Spain | 1 match | $30,000 |
FIFA said the match suspensions will carry over to the next fixtures played by the respective national teams.
That means Paredes and Molina face significant absences from Argentina’s upcoming international programme.
Argentina Also Punished Over Tournament Incidents
The sanctions extend beyond the individual players involved in the final.
FIFA has also taken disciplinary action against the Argentinian Football Association (AFA) over incidents during the World Cup.
The governing body investigated Argentina over discriminatory chants and gestures, late kick-offs, breaches of match and security protocols, inappropriate messages displayed by the team and supporters, and objects thrown by spectators during several World Cup matches.
Argentina were subsequently ordered to play their next two home matches behind closed doors, although FIFA suspended part of that sanction subject to a probationary period. The association also received a financial penalty.
Clash Followed Spain’s World Cup Triumph
The disciplinary cases arose from an ill-tempered conclusion to one of football’s biggest matches.
Spain defeated defending champions Argentina in the July 19 final at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, with Ferran Torres scoring the decisive goal in extra time.
Argentina had reached a second consecutive World Cup final after beating England 2-1 in the semi-final, with Lautaro Martínez scoring a stoppage-time winner.
However, the aftermath of the final became the subject of FIFA disciplinary proceedings after confrontations involving players and officials.
FIFA announced on July 29 that its appointed Disciplinary and Ethics Prosecutor had submitted a report on the incidents and that proceedings had been opened against the individuals concerned.
FIFA Decisions Can Be Appealed
FIFA said all parties have been formally notified of the disciplinary decisions.
Under the governing body’s rules, they have 10 days to request a motivated decision, which would subsequently be published through FIFA’s legal platform if requested.
The sanctions also remain subject to appeal under Article 61 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code.
The suspensions nevertheless represent a significant blow for Argentina, particularly with Paredes and Molina now facing extended spells away from international football.
