Trump Orders Pentagon to Scale Back US-South Korea Military Drills
WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES — WEB DESK: US President Donald Trump has instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, reopening a long-running debate over the scale and purpose of drills that Washington and Seoul regard as central to their alliance.
Trump announced the decision on Sunday, only hours before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were due to begin. He cited the cost of the drills, his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to join US actions against Iran.
Despite Trump’s instruction, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the exercises began on Monday as scheduled. The drills are due to continue until August 27 and involve about 18,000 South Korean personnel.
Trump calls drills costly and hostile
In a Truth Social post, Trump said he was unhappy that Washington had agreed to participate and argued that the exercises were expensive and sent an unnecessarily hostile signal to North Korea.
He also highlighted what he described as his good relationship with Kim Jong Un, suggesting that large-scale exercises could undermine efforts to reopen diplomatic engagement with Pyongyang.
Trump has repeatedly questioned the cost and scale of US military commitments on the Korean Peninsula, including both joint exercises and the expense of maintaining American forces in South Korea.
Around 28,500 US troops are stationed in the country as part of the bilateral defence alliance.
Seoul says alliance coordination will continue
South Korea’s presidential office said it was reviewing Trump’s remarks and expressed hope that his relationship with Kim could contribute to meaningful dialogue and greater stability on the Korean Peninsula.
At the same time, Seoul said the allies would continue coordinating their combined defence posture and military exercises.
The response suggests South Korea is seeking to avoid a public confrontation with Washington while preserving the military preparedness it considers necessary in response to North Korea’s nuclear and missile capabilities.
Iran dispute adds new tension
Trump also linked his dissatisfaction to South Korea’s position on Iran.
He said he had asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul wanted to participate in US efforts related to the “denuclearisation” of Iran and claimed the answer had been “No thanks!”
South Korea’s presidential office responded that Seoul was still discussing possible military contributions while considering defence requirements on the Korean Peninsula and its domestic legal procedures.
That response indicates the issue is more nuanced than a categorical rejection of all cooperation.
Ulchi Freedom Shield focuses on evolving threats
This year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were designed to address a range of threats, including drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks, according to South Korean and US military officials.
Officials said the drills are focused on the defence of the Korean Peninsula and have increasingly incorporated lessons from recent conflicts, including the growing use of unmanned systems and electronic warfare.
The exercises have also shifted in recent years away from some large live-fire components towards more computer-simulated command, missile and cyber scenarios.
North Korea condemns exercises
Pyongyang has repeatedly denounced US-South Korea military exercises as preparations for invasion and has threatened to strengthen its nuclear deterrent in response.
North Korea criticised this year’s drills before they began, accusing the US-led security network with South Korea and Japan of developing into a nuclear-oriented alliance.
North Korea also launched a ballistic missile towards the Sea of Japan on August 11, days before Ulchi Freedom Shield was scheduled to start.
Trump has curtailed drills before
The latest intervention echoes Trump’s approach during his first presidency.
In 2018, the Pentagon suspended planning for the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise following Trump’s diplomatic engagement with Kim Jong Un. The move was presented at the time as part of efforts to support negotiations with North Korea.
Trump and Kim ultimately held three high-profile meetings, but those talks failed to produce a lasting agreement on North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes.
Wider alliance tensions remain
The dispute over military exercises comes amid broader strains in US-South Korean relations.
Trump has repeatedly pressed Seoul to shoulder a larger share of defence costs, while the two governments have also faced economic disagreements over trade, investment and regulation.
Reuters reported that one former US official viewed Trump’s latest frustration as part of a wider disagreement with President Lee’s government over economic policy and South Korea’s implementation of a previously agreed investment package.
For now, the immediate practical impact of Trump’s order remains unclear.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise is underway, but the Pentagon has not publicly detailed how or when the president’s instruction to substantially reduce joint training will be implemented.
That uncertainty leaves one of Washington’s most important Asian alliances balancing three competing priorities: military readiness against North Korea, Trump’s push for reduced costs and renewed diplomacy with Pyongyang.
