Cristiano Ronaldo Hints 2026-27 Season Could Be His Last in Football

Date:

Cristiano Ronaldo Hints 2026-27 Season Could Be His Last in Football

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM — WEB DESK: Portuguese football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has given one of his clearest indications yet that retirement is approaching, saying the current year will “probably” be his last as a professional footballer.

The 41-year-old Al-Nassr forward made the comments in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, as he reflected on his future after more than two decades at the highest level of the sport.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

His comments stop short of a definitive retirement announcement, but mark a significant shift for a player who has previously avoided setting a firm date for the end of his career.

Ronaldo closing in on 1,000 career goals

Ronaldo enters what could be his final season with another historic milestone within reach.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored 976 goals for club and country, leaving him 24 short of 1,000, according to Reuters.

Reaching four figures would add another extraordinary achievement to a career spanning around 25 years.

Ronaldo began his senior career with Sporting CP before establishing himself as a global superstar at Manchester United. He later enjoyed a record-breaking spell with Real Madrid, played for Juventus and returned to Manchester United before joining Saudi Arabia’s Al-Nassr in late 2022.

He has won five Ballon d’Or awards and numerous domestic and international honours, while establishing himself as the leading goalscorer in men’s international football.

Al-Nassr contract runs until 2027

Despite his retirement comments, Ronaldo remains under contract with Al-Nassr until June 2027, meaning the possible timeline broadly corresponds with the end of the current season.

The Portuguese forward has been with the Saudi club since 2023 and has remained a prolific goalscorer into his 40s.

His longevity has become another defining feature of a career that began professionally in 2002.

Ronaldo’s comments therefore suggest the 2026-27 campaign could serve as a final chapter rather than indicating an immediate departure from football.

Ronaldo reveals plans for life after football

Ronaldo also spoke about how he intends to adjust to life away from the game.

After approximately 25 years of professional football and the sacrifices required to remain at the elite level, he said he already has plans to keep himself occupied after retirement.

Those plans include travelling more, spending time with his family and watching and playing padel, a racket sport he has developed a strong interest in.

The comments indicate Ronaldo is already preparing for the transition from professional football despite remaining focused on completing his playing career on his own terms.

Ronaldo and Georgina Rodriguez recently married

The retirement comments came shortly after Ronaldo married his longtime partner Georgina Rodriguez.

The couple held an intimate civil ceremony at their home in Cascais, Portugal, on August 11, surrounded by their five children.

Their marriage was also discussed in the Vogue interview in which Ronaldo addressed his football future.

End of an extraordinary era approaches

Ronaldo’s eventual retirement would mark the end of one of football’s most remarkable careers.

For more than two decades, Ronaldo and Argentine superstar Lionel Messi have dominated football’s individual records and awards while fuelling one of the sport’s most famous rivalries.

Ronaldo, however, has not yet formally declared a retirement date.

The word “probably” remains important: his latest comments indicate that retirement is increasingly likely after the current campaign, rather than confirming that he will definitely stop playing.

For now, the Portuguese star has another season ahead — and 24 goals separating him from the extraordinary milestone of 1,000 career goals.

admin
adminhttps://dailyeveningnews.pk
Daily Evening News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, latest updates, and in-depth coverage from Pakistan and around the world. We are committed to accurate, timely, and unbiased journalism, keeping our readers informed about politics, business, sports, technology, entertainment, and current affairs

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Shield AI’s X-BAT: World’s First AI-Piloted VTOL Fighter Jet Moves Toward Flight Tests

Shield AI’s X-BAT: World’s First AI-Piloted VTOL Fighter Jet...

Trump Rejects Extension of 60-Day Iran Deal as Tensions Rise

Trump Rejects Extension of 60-Day Iran Deal as Tensions...

Pakistan Security Forces Kill Nine Militants in Balochistan Operations

QUETTA, PAKISTAN — WEB DESK: Pakistani security forces have...

FIFA COO Kevin Lamour Leaves After Infantino Criticism

Senior FIFA executive exits weeks after accusing Gianni Infantino...