Iran Army Says Military Doctrine Is Shifting From Defensive to Offensive

Date:

Iran Army Says Military Doctrine Is Shifting From Defensive to Offensive

TEHRAN, IRAN — WEB DESK: Iran’s army said on Saturday that its military doctrine is shifting from a traditionally defensive posture towards a more offensive approach, citing lessons learned from the country’s recent conflicts and signalling a greater emphasis on rapid retaliation and potential preemptive operations.

Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Akraminia, a spokesman for the Iranian army, said the transformation had developed gradually during what Iranian officials describe as the recent 12-day and 40-day wars.

Akraminia told Iran’s state news agency IRNA that the country’s military doctrine had previously been defensive but had progressively moved towards an offensive posture during the two conflicts.

He said the change could be seen in Iran’s approach to delivering faster and broader responses to attacks, as well as in preparations for preemptive military action.

Iran Signals Greater Emphasis on Preemptive Operations

The announcement does not necessarily mean Iran has declared a policy of initiating wars against other countries.

Instead, statements from Iranian commanders indicate that Tehran is seeking to incorporate more offensive capabilities into a broader strategy of deterrence, retaliation and defence against anticipated attacks.

The concept itself predates the latest conflicts. Iranian officials have discussed “offensive defence” and forward-defence strategies for years, including the development of mobile assault units and the possibility of preemptive action when Iranian leaders believe the country faces an imminent threat.

However, the latest statement indicates that recent fighting has accelerated that evolution.

In June, Brigadier General Ahmadreza Pourdastan, head of the Iranian Army’s Strategic Studies and Research Center, similarly said Iran had moved from a purely defensive approach towards an “offensive-defensive” doctrine that could include preemptive operations.

Army Details Controversial Reward Plan

Akraminia also described a controversial plan prepared for the event of a foreign ground incursion into Iranian territory.

According to his statement, members of Iran’s armed forces or civilians legally possessing hunting weapons would be offered 5 billion tomans, estimated at around $26,000, for killing or capturing US military personnel entering Iranian territory.

He said the reward would rise to 10 billion tomans, or roughly $53,000, if the action were carried out by a woman.

Akraminia further claimed that the weapon used would be purchased by the military at twice its value, preserved in a military museum under the owner’s name and replaced with a similar weapon.

The announcement was presented by the army spokesman as evidence of preparations for a possible ground incursion rather than confirmation that such an operation is underway.

Iran Warns Against Potential Ground Offensive

Iranian commanders have repeatedly warned in recent months that any foreign ground operation would face a severe response.

In July, Akraminia said Iran had prepared operational scenarios covering potential invasion routes and had rehearsed them during military exercises. He argued that foreign troops would lose some of their technological advantages if fighting shifted to direct ground combat.

Iranian Army commander Major General Amir Hatami had also instructed military commanders earlier in the year to maintain readiness across both offensive and defensive domains while closely monitoring adversaries’ movements.

Iran has also strengthened military preparations around strategically sensitive areas, including territories near the Strait of Hormuz. Recent reporting said rapid-response units had been reinforced around Iranian islands and coastal areas amid concerns over possible foreign military operations.

Doctrine Shift Comes Amid Heightened Regional Tensions

The announcement comes against the backdrop of continuing tensions between Iran and the United States and broader instability across the Middle East.

Iranian military officials have increasingly argued that the country’s armed forces need the capability not only to absorb and retaliate against attacks but also to disrupt threats before they develop into larger military operations.

That approach represents an expansion of Iran’s longstanding deterrence strategy, which has historically relied on missiles, drones, asymmetric warfare and the ability to impose costs on more technologically advanced adversaries.

Akraminia also claimed that US influence in the region had declined and pointed to growing defence and security cooperation among regional states.

The practical implications of Iran’s latest doctrinal shift will depend on how the policy is implemented.

For now, Tehran’s statements signal that Iranian military planners are placing greater emphasis on speed, offensive capabilities and the option of preemptive action while continuing to frame those measures as part of the country’s response to external threats.

admin
adminhttps://dailyeveningnews.pk
Daily Evening News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, latest updates, and in-depth coverage from Pakistan and around the world. We are committed to accurate, timely, and unbiased journalism, keeping our readers informed about politics, business, sports, technology, entertainment, and current affairs

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Canada Vows Retaliation as US Imposes 50% Tariffs After Trade Talks Fail

Canada Vows Retaliation as US Imposes 50% Tariffs After...

Sindh CM Says Public-Private Partnerships Expanding Healthcare Access

Sindh CM Says Public-Private Partnerships Expanding Healthcare Access KARACHI, PAKISTAN...

Pakistan Exporters Estimate Rs450 Billion Losses From Goods Transport Strike

Pakistan Exporters Estimate Rs450 Billion Losses From Goods Transport...

Tom Pelphrey Reveals He Nearly Played Professor X in Marvel’s X-Men

Tom Pelphrey Reveals He Nearly Played Professor X in...