Iran claims Qatar holds 3 pilots after two Iranian Jets were downed

Date:

Tehran says three Iranian pilots survived after two Su-24 bombers were shot down following an attack on a US base in Qatar and are being held by Qatari forces.

TEHRAN, IRAN — WEB DESK: Iran has publicly claimed for the first time that three Iranian Air Force pilots who went missing after two Iranian Su-24 aircraft were downed over Qatar in March are alive and being held by Qatari forces.

According to an Iranian news agency, the claim was made by Brigadier General Mohammad Bagherzadeh, commander of a committee within Iran’s Armed Forces General Staff responsible for tracing missing personnel.

Iran has reportedly asked the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) to investigate the condition of the three pilots and assist in securing their release.

Iran asks Red Cross to intervene

Bagherzadeh reportedly made the request in a letter addressed to ICRC President Mirjana Spoljaric Egger, expressing concern over the whereabouts and condition of the missing Iranian aircrew.

According to the Iranian account, Tehran believes the three pilots — Javad Salehi, Abdolhamid Dashtian and Imran Bahroishian — survived the destruction of the two aircraft and were subsequently captured by Qatari forces.

Iran is seeking access to the pilots and information about their health and current status.

Two Su-24 aircraft reportedly attacked US base

According to the Iranian military account, two Iranian Su-24 fighter-bombers departed from Shahid Doran Air Base in Shiraz on March 2, 2026, as part of an operation targeting a US military installation in Qatar.

Iran says the aircraft successfully completed their mission against Al Udeid Air Base, a major US military facility in Qatar.

Tehran further claims that the aircraft were targeted by an opposing air-defence system while returning from the mission, forcing their crews to eject.

One pilot reportedly killed

Iranian officials said four pilots were aboard the two aircraft.

According to Bagherzadeh’s account, Majid Kazemi was killed, while his remains were later recovered and transferred to Iran for burial.

The other three pilots are now alleged by Iran to have been captured alive by Qatari forces.

The claims have not been independently verified.

Iran accuses Qatar of withholding information

The Iranian military official reportedly accused Qatar of failing to provide information about the three pilots for approximately six months.

He claimed that Iranian officials had not been allowed to meet or interview the pilots or facilitate contact between them and their families.

Iran has also alleged that the treatment of the pilots could raise questions under international law and the Geneva Conventions, calling for an investigation into their status.

These allegations remain Tehran’s position and have not been independently established.

Qatar previously denied having information

The latest Iranian claim comes after months of uncertainty surrounding the fate of the three aircrew members.

Iranian military spokesman Brigadier General Mohammad Akraminia reportedly said on August 1 that Iranian authorities were continuing to pursue the matter.

Qatari authorities, meanwhile, have previously maintained that they had no information concerning the missing Iranian air personnel.

The contrasting positions have left the status of the three pilots unresolved.

Qatar previously said two Iranian aircraft were shot down

Qatar’s Defence Ministry said in a statement on March 2 that its air force had shot down two Iranian Su-24 aircraft approaching from Iran.

Iran, however, has maintained that the aircraft successfully carried out their mission before being targeted during their return flight.

admin
adminhttps://dailyeveningnews.pk
Daily Evening News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, latest updates, and in-depth coverage from Pakistan and around the world. We are committed to accurate, timely, and unbiased journalism, keeping our readers informed about politics, business, sports, technology, entertainment, and current affairs

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Hayden Panettiere detailed painful custody decision Before her death

Actress Hayden Panettiere had previously spoken about the difficult...

Govinda warns wife Sunita to “stay within your limits” amid allegations

Bollywood actor Govinda has reportedly responded strongly to allegations...

Cnergyico expands US crude imports as Hormuz disruptions reshape oil trade

Pakistan’s Cnergyico is increasing crude imports from the United...

Imran Khan’s eye vision almost returned to normal after treatment

A report from Adiala Jail says former prime minister...